In this writer's opinion, this year's Christmas programming has been very hit-or-miss. There's been a mix of genuinely good movies and others that make you question what they were thinking. But one of the things I love is that Hallmark movies are very subjective, and what one person enjoys might not be what others enjoy. All that being said, this writer (I know I shouldn't keep writing that, but oh well) believes that A Make or Break Holiday ranks among the top 3 movies of this holiday season.
Starring Evan Roderick and Hunter King, who play Liv and Daniel, a couple going through a rough patch at Christmas. From the outside, they seem like the perfect couple, but watching them, you realize their main problem is communication.
Director: Martin Wood
Writers: Vanessa Marano, Danielle Morrow
Stars: Hunter King, Evan Roderick, Jennifer-Juniper Angeli
Before watching A Make or Break Holiday, I didn't know what to expect. I knew it was a romantic comedy, but I underestimated the chemistry between Evan Roderick and Hunter King. The two actors have incredible naturalness, interacting effortlessly. They move in sync, and even their facial expressions don't feel forced.
What they accomplish is making the viewer feel like they are real people, and that they are learning a lesson about what not to do. Well, that and communication. The two exemplify what not to do in a relationship.
What is that? I'm glad you asked.
The two argue about Christmas decorations and the arrival of their families. Liv and Daniel decide not to correct their words or apologize as soon as they say them.
The two agree to take a break. If we've learned anything from Friends, it's that no one should ever say they're taking a break without specifying what "on a break" means. Instantly, they both realize they've made a mistake, but they go to separate rooms to call their families and cancel Christmas.
I yelled at the TV when they went to separate rooms, knowing that what they had just done was wrong. To make matters worse, their families end up having to stay with them. Pretending everything is okay will be even harder. Pretending everything is okay in a relationship isn't easy. In fact, it's incredibly difficult to hide things, and neither of them is having a good time with this situation. There are many reasons why this movie is one of our favorites, and here are five reasons why it should be one of yours.
I know that during the holidays, families can go crazy, and they do. It seems like the traditions, the food, and, well, a recap of the year turn everything upside down. Families are crazy.
Liv's family is tense, critical, and despite my frustration with their antics, they yell, scream, and think they're always right. The only good thing about that family is the brother, played by Craig Geoghan, the winner of Finding Mr. Christmas.
Daniel's family (his mother, sister, and grandmother) are free spirits. They all try to avoid conflict. My favorite character, besides Daniel and Liv, is Kim, played by Brittney Wilson. She knows her brother and knows that Daniel is hiding something.
The families are polar opposites, but that's part of what makes it fun and entertaining.
Who doesn't love Christmas (besides me)? The way all these family traditions unfold is part of what makes the movie great. There are the ones we all have: the tree, the lights, the food, but there are also others that make me grateful I don't have them in my life.
Christmas is an important time for many. It's a time of togetherness, family, and love. Christmas is a time of joy, or at least it's supposed to be.
Watching how people celebrate Christmas, even fictional characters, is always interesting to me. I loved seeing how everything, even the chaos and craziness, was fun.
I think watching Daniel and Liv try to keep everyone happy is part of the problem. When you don't know how to be happy yourself, you can never make others happy.
But it's funny how it looks like Christmas threw up in their house.
When you watch this movie, you have to keep in mind that it's a comedy. In fact, it's very funny. There are so many witty lines, plus references that made me laugh out loud. I mean, if you don't know who Mary-Kate and Ashley are, what world do you live in?
Much of the humor is ironic, but I love ironic humor.
The jokes and physical comedy are great. Often, the humor lies in the situation itself, but I'll tell you something: it was Daniel and Liv's siblings who made me laugh the hardest.
I think we should appreciate the winner of Finding Mr. Christmas, Craig, even more. He showed the viewers why he deserved to win.

Comments
Post a Comment