I haven't watched Grey's Anatomy in years, although it's still airing, like a doctor of retirement age forced to keep working well past their prime. I think every country has its own equivalent medical drama series. In India, we had Dil Mil Gaye back in the day, and there are a dozen Korean medical dramas, all quite good and worth watching. And now, I dare say, we've found a Spanish one that's just as dramatic, bloody, and perhaps much more sensual than you might expect.
Breathless is the classic medical drama where a group of doctors in a public health system hospital struggle to cope with emergencies and terminal illnesses. But that's not all, because after a while, that might get a little too bleak for our taste. So we have a series of romances, some internal intrigues, incestuous relationships among the staff, and the struggle of working in the public health system.
Creator: Carlos Montero
Stars: Najwa Nimri, Aitana Sánchez-Gijón, Blanca Suárez
Breathless sheds light on some of the difficulties faced by doctors, who are underpaid and overworked, but that's not really the main point. The main conflict of the series comes from the President of Valencia, who learns at the beginning of the series that she has a terminal illness and needs to use the same public health system that she deeply despises. Even as a character, Patricia is the most compelling in the series.
She's a strong-willed woman in a position of power and knows how to put everyone in their place. Her fear of losing her femininity in the process of fighting her illness is also an interesting conflict, and I think it's handled very well. On the other hand, the other female protagonist, in my opinion, is Jessica. Oh, and yes, all these doctors look like they stepped out of a commercial, young and attractive with perfect abs and gorgeous hair all the time. You know how it is.
If you're looking for something different, I don't think Breathless will satisfy you. Especially if you've been watching medical dramas for years. But if it's something you've never tried and if you're a fan of melodrama, then I definitely recommend giving it a shot. The two characters I mentioned earlier are just the tip of the iceberg. There's the gorgeous Biel, the melancholic protagonist who looks like he stepped out of a Renaissance painting, but with an earring (can doctors wear earrings?). He's obsessed with his mentor for many reasons, each more endearing than the last. Then there's the lesbian couple who are having a baby, while the pregnant one is working too many hours, which definitely can't be good for either her or the baby, and there's even more drama! Each episode tackles a bunch of medical problems, and the cases are always different, while the doctors also fight against the system, meaning against Patricia, and strive to be better people. Don't worry, it's a medical drama, so heartbreak is inevitable. But I don't think it's the kind of series that will make you cry.
I think the difficulty here lies in the fact that nowadays entertainment is just a click away; everything is sped up. So, while before a series like this would have needed a whole season of about 20 episodes to introduce its main characters, now it throws conflict after conflict at them. This doesn't mean I want to go back to having dozens of seasons with too many episodes, but what I mean is that with so many characters, it becomes a little difficult to keep track of who has what problem. Even so, I think the series introduces the main characters well and gives each of them as complete a story arc as possible. I especially liked Leo's character arc and how it's developed.
Visually, this series reminded me a lot of Grey's Anatomy. Oh, and if you get easily nauseous, I suggest you skip all the surgery scenes because, my goodness, they go into every detail! Breathless won't leave you breathless; it's not even a breath of fresh air, but it could be a comforting, nostalgic scent you've been missing. A little exaggerated? You're right, I'm sorry. I think the English dubbing is perfect, so if you're looking for something to watch in the background while you relax, this series is ideal.
Is Breathless worth binge-watching? I think, with a series so packed with information, it's easier to watch the episodes one by one instead of all at once. It can get a little overwhelming and also ruin the experience. I suggest taking a traditional approach and watching it gradually to enjoy it to the fullest. The pacing of the series is excellent, and there's plenty of drama, which will make you feel like you're watching one of those old soap operas and then discussing it with your neighbors. Yes, count me in if we're talking about Biel's beauty. I'm not objectifying her; that's just how they designed her character!
I think Breathless manages to be a perfectly "inspiring" series because it's culturally different, and that's why we can see the same old story presented in a different way. Detractors will say it's a copy, but personally, I think it has the potential to become the next big hit in the Spanish entertainment industry. Especially compared to other telenovelas I've seen recently on the platform. Personally, I've always liked medical dramas, and I love learning new terms and pretending I'm my own doctor. If you feel the same way, then this series will be very nostalgic for you. But if you hate drama and aren't interested in medical terms or the adrenaline of the emergency room, then this series is definitely not for you. I would give Breathless 3.5 out of 5 stars. I certainly had a lot of fun watching it.

Comments
Post a Comment