Matt Johnson is a creative genius! Brilliantly executed and hilarious! The audience erupted in laughter and applause from beginning to end. The film does an amazing job of combining cast footage from years past with current footage to create an absolutely ridiculous time travel experience, with humorous nods to Back to the Future and references to the series of the same name. The intentional effort in direction and cinematography makes you believe the film was spontaneous and casual. Matt Johnson's genius is evident in every aspect of the film.
Without a doubt, Matt Johnson has emerged as one of the best Canadian filmmakers working today. Johnson has created a hilarious and excellent sci-fi buddy comedy that clearly understands the self-aware gestures playing out in the setting and makes perfectly creative and humorous choices. With a very low budget, what I love about Johnson's work is that he always finds creative ways to tell his stories, his direction, and his decisions in unique ways, even when the budget is tight. His creative approach to setting, atmosphere, themes, and tone is absolutely brilliant.
Director: Matt Johnson
Writers: Matt Johnson, Jay McCarrol
Stars: Matt Johnson, Jay McCarrol, Ben Petrie
Throughout this film, based on his web series, he successfully captures the craziness and hilarious moments of the series, adding new commentary, fun characters, and humor throughout. Matt Johnson and Jay McCarrol, as the lead duo, maintain solid chemistry, funny dialogue, and entertaining moments, making them one of the best Canadian duos of the comedy era. They also feature very creative editing decisions, camerawork, and music selection.
The script takes clever cues and addresses blockbuster hits, but also new concepts and creative themes that really work. I must say it's quite risky, but there are certain moments where I'm surprised the copyright was filed, because, wow, Johnson doesn't hold anything back.
The TIFF experience I attended was amazing. Everyone was laughing, cheering, and going crazy over the film. It's one of the best Midnight Madness experiences I've ever seen. Overall, this was one of the best films I've seen at TIFF and, frankly, one of the best this year.

Comments
Post a Comment