Filipino stars Kim Chiu and Paulo Avelino opened up about their first big-screen collaboration, "My Love Will Make You Disappear," revealing the story that brought the dynamic couple together, whose social media following exceeds 40 million.
The romantic comedy, produced by ABS-CBN's Star Cinema, one of Hong Kong FilMart's exhibitors, will be released globally on March 28.
Director: Chad Vidanes
Writers: Prime Cruz, Patrick Valencia, Isabella Policarpio
Stars: Kim Chiu, Paulo Avelino, Wilma Doesnt
"I think this film—romance and comedy—is a Filipino theme that our culture loves, about two people falling in love," Chiu tells Variety. "It's the best time to see it in theaters because there are so many things happening around us, so many issues we're dealing with."
Directed by Chad Vidanes and written by Patrick Valencia and Isabella Policarpio, the film follows Sari (Chiu), a woman convinced she's cursed because all the men she loves disappear. When she meets Jolo (Avelino), a brooding landlord struggling with a decaying apartment complex, they join forces to save a community from displacement.
The "KimPau" pairing, as fans affectionately call them, was years in the making. Avelino says he wanted to work with Chiu since 2011. "I was very young then and was looking for someone my age to work with. Kim was the first one who came to mind because there's something about her personality that's really likable," he says.
The duo eventually collaborated in 2023 on the drama series "Linlang," where they played an estranged married couple, followed by the Philippine remake of the hit Korean series "What's Wrong with Secretary Kim?" (2024).
Their initial collaboration wasn't without its challenges. "My first impression of Paulo is that he's the type of person who doesn't talk much, and my personality is very loud," Chiu recalls. I'm quite concerned about whether she gets along with such a charming, funny, outspoken, and ever-present co-worker.
Avelino agrees: "It was a little awkward because the roles were totally different. I think it's also one of Kim's first roles, at her most mature." But he adds that their relationship evolved naturally: "In the end, about halfway through filming, we were already eating together on set with our directors and crew."
By the time they shot "Secretary Kim," their chemistry was already solidified, though Avelino admits the gender switch was a challenge: "Everything was in place for Kim because that's, I'd say, her strong suit. For me, it's a little awkward because, to be honest, I don't do dramas or romantic comedies."
Both actors see parallels between themselves and their roles in "My Love Will Make You Disappear." Chiu says Sari is "70% similar to who I am in person," though she jokes, "The difference between Sari and Kim is that I'm not cursed. I know I'm not cursed in love, at all."
Chiu brings her box-office appeal to hits like "Bride for Rent" and "The Ghost Bride," while Avelino leverages her dramatic talent from acclaimed performances in "General Luna" and "Fan Girl."
But working in film rather than television presents different challenges. "It's harder because people buy tickets to see you in the theater. So it has to be worth it," Chiu explains. "We have to be 100% there."
Avelino points out that the main difference is time: "In the Philippines, for films, there's more time to develop and shoot scenes, while on television, we shoot 10 to 20 scenes a day, which I find very difficult."
There's growing international interest in Filipino mainstream films, and "Hello, Love, Again" recently broke records, becoming the first Filipino film to gross over 1 billion Philippine pesos (US$17 million) worldwide. "There's something about mainstream films and romance that conveys a specific feeling," says Avelino. "The kilig and happiness that cinema gives you is neither too heavy nor too light."
Asked to translate the Tagalog word "kilig," a typically Filipino concept, Chiu describes it as "when love tickles you, you smile, and find that inner happiness that you can't really explain." Avelino adds that it's "a mix of butterflies in your stomach and a flutter in your heart."
Both actors emphasize the importance of creating films that bring joy to viewers. "I think it's an escape from what you're going through right now, to watch a movie that makes you feel good," says Chiu.
When asked about future projects together, Chiu focuses on their current film: "For now, we just hope and pray that this film will be a huge success, not only in the Philippines, but also abroad."
Avelino, however, is already dreaming of new genres to explore with Chiu. "I would love to work with Kim again, but I would like a different genre," he says. "Maybe a heartwarming film, an action movie, or something I've been wanting to do."

Comments
Post a Comment