I think you can tell a lot about a person by whether or not they like The Muppets, because honestly, I can't think of a single person in their right mind who doesn't. I mean, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has, without fail, included them in their annual Christmas repertoire with The Muppet Christmas Carol for as long as I can remember, and that says it all, since Christmas is the happiest time of the year.
So it's been a little baffling to me that, with such a beloved franchise full of potential, Disney hasn't known what to do with them. They had their big comeback in 2011 with The Muppets, a fantastic film that reunited the gang to save their iconic theater, which provided the perfect springboard to revive The Muppet Show. But what followed was a rather mediocre sequel that failed to recapture the magic of the first, and then, aside from a few failed attempts to bring them back to stardom, almost total silence.
Director: Alex Timbers
Writers: Albertina Rizzo, Gabe Liedman, Nedaa Sweiss
Stars: Bill Barretta, Dave Goelz, Eric Jacobson
Until now, thanks to executive producer Seth Rogen, the perfect man for the job after giving us what, in my opinion, was the breakout series of last year, The Studio, which perfectly fits the meta tone that something like The Muppets needs, at least with a more family-friendly touch. And I'm incredibly happy to say that Rogen has delivered in spades, because there wasn't a single second where this wasn't the most joyful and sensational thing I've had the pleasure of watching in a long time. If I wasn't laughing, I was at least smiling the entire time.
From the moment Rowlf the dog introduces Kermit the Frog back onto the stage with the first piano notes of Rainbow Connection, a wave of nostalgia washed over me like a warm hug. Everything we remember so fondly is here. There are plenty of musical numbers and visual gags packed into these 33 minutes, often happening simultaneously, and the laughs come at you like The Great Gonzo being shot out of a cannon, which is great because, as the 2011 film so aptly pointed out, laughter is the third best gift we can receive.
I have to say, it took me a little while to get used to Matt Vogel's interpretation of Kermit's voice, as it is, of course, one of the most recognizable voices in television history, but once I got past that, I think he did a commendable job bringing the frog we all love to life, and it feels like we're reuniting with an old friend after years and picking up the conversation right where we left off. Nothing has really changed, and I mean that in the most positive way possible.
As for our special guest, Sabrina Carpenter, I think she was a great addition to the show's cast, fitting in perfectly among the colorful group and actively participating in their increasingly zany antics. Her chemistry with the inimitable Miss Piggy gave us some of the funniest moments, and it will be hard for the rest of 2026 to deliver a more iconic duo. If you need more proof, I loved Sabrina and Kermit's duet singing "Islands in the Stream," but when Piggy's inevitable interruption came, I loved it even more, because it's a pairing I never thought I needed to see, but once you see it, it just makes sense.
Of course, with such a large cast, there are some characters who get a little sidelined. They all have their moments, but I would have loved to see more of characters like Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, and my all-time favorite, Animal. I was glad to see Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and his unfortunate lab assistant, Beaker, get a good moment in the spotlight with a classic sketch involving an endless supply of eyeballs, almost as disturbing as it was hilarious.
I think this problem can be easily solved with a simple solution: Disney and Seth Rogen, if either of you are listening, I need immediate confirmation that a full series will be commissioned from this, because it's too good an opportunity to pass up. As it stands now, as a standalone production, I can't think of a better way to commemorate 50 years of The Muppet Show, and I think it's a use of his creations that Jim Henson would be incredibly proud of. Of course, Statler and Waldorf couldn't resist making their usual sarcastic remarks from the balcony, commenting, "There's still a lot of this show left... unfortunately!" But I couldn't disagree more. I didn't want it to end, and I only hope that there will indeed be much more of this show in the not-too-distant future.

Comments
Post a Comment