Skip to main content

Sirens 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

 I remember the first time I saw the promotional material for Netflix's Sirens. People were intrigued by the idea that it was a lesbian love story, but with a huge age gap. So I think it's not a shame that it's not a lesbian love story, but a twisted tale of manipulation, trauma, and familial love. Sirens follows the story of Devon, a young woman who finds herself in downstate New York on a wealthy island, searching for her sister, Simone, because she needs her help taking care of her ailing father. 

However, what Devon finds completely shocks her because the Simone she knew has completely changed as an assistant to a wealthy woman named Michaela. Devon believes she's infiltrated a cult and goes undercover because she believes she must save her sister from this evil leader. If you're interested in female-centric shows, Sirens should definitely be number one on your watch list this week. However, if that's not enough to get you excited about something, you'd better watch out. 

Creator: Molly Smith Metzler
Stars: Meghann Fahy, Milly Alcock, Glenn Howerton

At first glance, Sirens seems like something of a mystery, and you might think it'll be a bit like The White Lotus or any of those "eat the rich" series and movies we've seen lately. But Sirens is a satirical comedy-drama that primarily focuses on a sibling conflict. It's very entertaining, but some may be disappointed, not by the sequence of events that follows, but by what happens at the end.


The truth is, Sirens seems like one of those shows you finish and then discuss "What did you think of the ending?" with others, but I think it's missing some answers to that question. I guess what I'm saying is that, rather than being deeply moving or very convoluted, the show is basically popcorn entertainment with some dark themes. But I think this is what makes it stand out in the OTT context. It's not absurdly written, like the plethora of shows Netflix offers, without it feeling like it was written by AI. It's also not so intellectual that you have to take notes and search the internet for what happened at the end to fully understand it (but if you're still curious, check out our explanation). I think the series is right in the middle of this spectrum, making it perfect for a binge.


Sirens is a miniseries of just five episodes, each about an hour long, that flows as smoothly as the champagne drunk by high-society celebrities. It's undeniably a fun show, and it stands out especially for its incredible female lead trio. Milly Allcock, 25, of House of the Dragon fame, plays the vivacious Simone, a Barbie with big dreams and a dark past she must erase at all costs. Milly is innocent but stern like Simone, but despite her youth and experience, she commands attention even when sharing the screen with her more seasoned colleagues. 

When I saw Julianne Moore in Sirens, I couldn't help but compare her character to Nicole Kidman's in Nine Perfect Strangers, another opulent cult series with a woman in charge. I don't know about you, but I feel like both women are in their "fun" phase, so they take on these morally gray characters (May, December is another standout) and play them with excellent precision. Watching Simone and Michaela's scenes is undoubtedly the best part of the series, and at any other time, it could have ended up being a cute comedy.


But the real star of Mermaids is undoubtedly Meghann Fahy, who plays Devon, the Y2K bride. It's as if the "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" had a baby with Barbie. I suppose her perfect blonde hair and tall posture help make Devon a character who fits perfectly on this island, but only physically. But the reason she's so fun to watch is because she has a great sense of humor and wonderful chemistry with all the cast members, making her an instant favorite. 

While Devon is a no-nonsense, straightforward sister, Simone is the ambitious, driven one who will do anything to escape the very thing Devon is so desperate to cling to. Allcock and Fahy are perfect as estranged sisters seeking to reconnect. If you're still not convinced and need just one reason to watch the series, let it be the chemistry between Fahy and Allcock. Kevin Bacon plays Peter, Michaela's "rich by birth" husband, who has a bigger role than you'd imagine. He's a somewhat random character, but he moves through the series with stealth, making you wonder what he's really up to. It's all fun and games.


Ultimately, Sirens is a series focused on family, but specifically on female relationships, wrapped in a colorful (albeit white) bow and filled with confetti, making it look like a birthday cake. 

Watch Sirens 2025 Tv Series Trailer



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heated Rivalry 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

Letterkenny veteran Jacob Tierney wrote and directed the six-part series about two rising hockey stars who fall passionately in love. Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin entered the NHL in 2005. For more than 20 years, the Canadian star and his Russian counterpart have waged one of the greatest rivalries in the sport. They've won titles, medals, and scoring crowns, and both are still playing (with the same franchises that drafted them), having earned their place among hockey's all-time elite. Creator: Jacob Tierney Stars: Hudson Williams, Connor Storrie, Callan Potter That's the underlying premise at the heart of HBO Max and Crave's new six-part romantic drama, Heated Rivalry, based on the book by Rachel Reid and written and directed by Letterkenny veteran Jacob Tierney. Don't expect many direct similarities to Letterkenny, though. Heated Rivalry may have some comedic elements, as relationships between passionate men are often entertaining, but it's a sincere a...

Dhurandhar 2025 Movie Review Trailer Poster

Dhurandhar's story unfolds against the backdrop of significant terrorist attacks in India, focusing particularly on harrowing incidents such as the hijacking of flight IC-814 in Kandahar in 1999, the Parliament attack in 2001, and the devastating 26/11 Mumbai attacks in 2008. The film depicts a daring covert operation led by the head of India's Intelligence Bureau, Ajay Sanyal, played by R. Madhavan. The film delves into the underbelly of Karachi, particularly the dangerous Lyari region, following the journey of Hamza, played by Ranveer Singh.  Hamza is introduced as an Indian agent who infiltrates Karachi's notoriously violent gang culture to dismantle terrorist operations from within. Structured in several chapters, the film introduces the viewer to a complex narrative that explores themes of revenge, sacrifice, and national security. The first half successfully intertwines traumatic real-life events with fiction, creating a thought-provoking plot that encourages audience...

Ripple 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

When I started watching Ripple, I thought it was some kind of Hallmark series about people just living in New York, but as I got further into the series, I realized it was so much more. I think Ripple is what you could call a guilty pleasure TV series. It's neither incredibly fascinating nor so boring that you want to turn off the TV. It strikes the perfect balance, but add a dash of pain and hope, and you have an excellent series to enjoy during the holidays, when you just want to relax and be happy. The series is full of emotions, and that's what makes it so easy to watch.  The 8-episode series doesn't waste any time showing what it's trying to convey, what this "Ripple" is, and how all these characters are going to connect. I think it reminded me of when I first started watching soap operas like Grey's Anatomy. The tone of the series is very similar to those nostalgic soap operas. Plus, the presence of Ian Harding from Pretty Little Liars, with his gray...