Skip to main content

Baramulla 2025 Movie Review Trailer Poster

As someone who found history classes boring, I thought learning about our past through movies and TV shows was a good idea because, at least, it would be entertaining. But then I started noticing that the creators of those movies and shows were using those chapters of human history to incite hatred in the present, without even reflecting the overall sentiment of the stories they were telling. And that led me to realize that this medium of entertainment probably wasn't the best way to educate ourselves, because its creators constantly distort the facts in the name of "artistic expression." 

After that, I did my best to stay away from this subgenre and limited myself to taking history classes with, you know, actual historians. Meanwhile, the subgenre itself flourished (and I don't mean that in a good way) because, apparently, people love being emotionally exploited and handing over their money to producers who don't care how their products affect impressionable minds. As if that weren't disrespectful enough, with Baramulla, it seems we've moved on to using real tragedies as mere gimmicks in horror films.

Director: Aditya Suhas Jambhale
Writers: Aditya Dhar, Aditya Suhas Jambhale
Stars: Inthikav Alam, Aquib, Shradda Bhatt

Baramulla, by Aditya Suhas Jambhale, who co-wrote the story with Aditya Dhar and the dialogue with Monal Thaakar, begins with the disappearance of a boy named Shoaib Ansari at a magic show. The magician, Zafar, is arrested and interrogated, but he can't provide any answers because he isn't a kidnapper. Sub-Inspector Ridwaan Sayyed then takes over the case, since the missing boy isn't just any boy; he's the son of a former legislator, Ismail Ansari. Naturally, Ridwaan's entire family—his wife, Gulnaar, his daughter, Noorie, and his son, Ayaan—has to move in with him, and none of them are exactly happy about it. 

While Ridwaan and Gulnaar keep busy with work, and Ayaan entertains herself with her imaginary friend, Noorie struggles to adjust. Some of these problems stem from the present, others from her turbulent past, but with each passing day, Noorie begins to suspect a supernatural element. Due to her strained relationship with her parents, Noorie is unable to communicate with them. And the further she distances herself from her family, the more she becomes entangled with a criminal organization and the spirits that haunt her house.


I know the story has been interpreted from a horror perspective on several occasions. One of the first examples that comes to mind is Overlord, which imagines American soldiers fighting Nazi zombies, created to establish a thousand-year Reich. The Count portrayed the Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet as a vampire. The website used complex time paradoxes to discuss what the Japanese did to Chinese prisoners in Unit 731. And Exhuma, which happens to be one of my all-time favorite horror films, tackled the controversial relationship between Japan and South Korea through hypnotic rituals and a near-immortal monster. 

So yes, horror and history can be blended to create something educational and entertaining. Baramulla's mistake lies in its overly adherence to reality, adding the most innocuous supernatural elements to the narrative. Because you can't fully suspend disbelief or get a nuanced interpretation of the facts underlying the story, it all leaves a bad taste in your mouth. It feels exploitative and disrespectful, something even the most well-intentioned horror films fail to convey. I mean, you remind me that real lives were lost, and then you want to talk about ghosts? Please!

The cast is incapable of making Baramulla entertaining. Manav Kaul is one of the best actors in the Hindi film industry, and I haven't seen him so uncomfortable in a long time. Bhasha Sumbli delivers an utterly bland performance. That said, there's a moment when he has to tell Kaul that his daughter is dead inside, and the performance is so bizarre it made me laugh out loud. Khurshid Mir, Vikas Shukla, Shahid Latief, Neelofar Hamid, Mir Sarwar, Shaifa Maqbool, and the rest of the supporting cast are completely forgettable. And while Aswini Koul falls into that category, I think he's the worst of them all. He has only one decent scene. 

I admit that's not easy, as it involves police brutality. But what Koul does with the material borders on parody. Everything, from his accent to his body language, is simply comical. Even if it were a horror comedy, I don't think I could have forgiven Koul's performance. So, in short, it's not a good film. I admit that Kashmir has a lot of potential as a setting for gothic horror, but after this film and Qala (along with several action and comedy movies), I think Bollywood should leave that region alone. Furthermore, I advise you not to learn about real tragedies through movies; read a book.

Watch Baramulla 2025 Movie Trailer



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heated Rivalry 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

Letterkenny veteran Jacob Tierney wrote and directed the six-part series about two rising hockey stars who fall passionately in love. Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin entered the NHL in 2005. For more than 20 years, the Canadian star and his Russian counterpart have waged one of the greatest rivalries in the sport. They've won titles, medals, and scoring crowns, and both are still playing (with the same franchises that drafted them), having earned their place among hockey's all-time elite. Creator: Jacob Tierney Stars: Hudson Williams, Connor Storrie, Callan Potter That's the underlying premise at the heart of HBO Max and Crave's new six-part romantic drama, Heated Rivalry, based on the book by Rachel Reid and written and directed by Letterkenny veteran Jacob Tierney. Don't expect many direct similarities to Letterkenny, though. Heated Rivalry may have some comedic elements, as relationships between passionate men are often entertaining, but it's a sincere a...

Dhurandhar 2025 Movie Review Trailer Poster

Dhurandhar's story unfolds against the backdrop of significant terrorist attacks in India, focusing particularly on harrowing incidents such as the hijacking of flight IC-814 in Kandahar in 1999, the Parliament attack in 2001, and the devastating 26/11 Mumbai attacks in 2008. The film depicts a daring covert operation led by the head of India's Intelligence Bureau, Ajay Sanyal, played by R. Madhavan. The film delves into the underbelly of Karachi, particularly the dangerous Lyari region, following the journey of Hamza, played by Ranveer Singh.  Hamza is introduced as an Indian agent who infiltrates Karachi's notoriously violent gang culture to dismantle terrorist operations from within. Structured in several chapters, the film introduces the viewer to a complex narrative that explores themes of revenge, sacrifice, and national security. The first half successfully intertwines traumatic real-life events with fiction, creating a thought-provoking plot that encourages audience...

Ripple 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

When I started watching Ripple, I thought it was some kind of Hallmark series about people just living in New York, but as I got further into the series, I realized it was so much more. I think Ripple is what you could call a guilty pleasure TV series. It's neither incredibly fascinating nor so boring that you want to turn off the TV. It strikes the perfect balance, but add a dash of pain and hope, and you have an excellent series to enjoy during the holidays, when you just want to relax and be happy. The series is full of emotions, and that's what makes it so easy to watch.  The 8-episode series doesn't waste any time showing what it's trying to convey, what this "Ripple" is, and how all these characters are going to connect. I think it reminded me of when I first started watching soap operas like Grey's Anatomy. The tone of the series is very similar to those nostalgic soap operas. Plus, the presence of Ian Harding from Pretty Little Liars, with his gray...