Skip to main content

Fit for TV: The Reality of the Biggest Loser 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

 I think not being American and being too young in the 2000s saved me from watching the disaster I now discover to be "The Biggest Loser." A show that humiliated people with obesity issues for television, "The Biggest Loser" ran for 17 seasons and had a huge impact on American reality television. As someone who has never been into reality TV, I hadn't even heard of it before I was recommended to watch the documentary "Fit For TV: The Reality Of The Biggest Loser" on Netflix.

The documentary revisits some of the many iconic faces that appeared on the show's 17 seasons and puts them in front of the cameras decades later to talk about what life was like back then. But that's not all; it also features two producers, a trainer, and the show's doctor, giving us different perspectives on who thought what about the show. Because of this, I'm not sure what their intentions were. 

When it comes to reality TV, the one thing we should remember is that it's always about entertainment, even if it means sacrificing people's mental health, well-being, and even lives. Sometimes it feels like we've been living in a dystopian world for ages, but we need an outsider's eye to truly understand how bad things can get. The documentary gives everyone a chance to explain themselves: producers, contestants, doctors, and trainers. Bob Harper, the show's trainer, who has never worked with overweight people before, is seen talking in the most unselfconscious way about real people struggling with themselves, making every moment he's on screen infuriating. 

I don't know if the documentary intentionally portrays him as a villain, or if it's just my personal opinion, borne of watching the man in the documentary for five minutes, which made me realize he might be a jerk. Apparently, "The Biggest Loser" came about when one of the producers saw a poster in the gym where an obese person was pleading for help to save their life and desperately looking for a trainer. 

If the intention was good, this was the last thing we saw. Sure, the idea may have seemed brilliant at the time, but the way the show was executed, you'd never imagine this was the story behind it. The documentary gives us an insight into how some of the contestants felt about being reprimanded on the show, not for the purpose of motivation, but to entertain the millions watching. Sure, from the outside, it seemed like these people who voluntarily participated in the show were motivated to get fit and healthy, but in the end, it not only caused them physical damage, but also mental damage for the rest of their lives.


But the documentary isn't meant to give us a definitive view of the whole thing. We're expected to form our own opinions based on what all these different voices have to say about this pivotal experience in their lives. I guess there's a gulf between the words "reality" and "truth," even for a show like this. At first, I thought they could be interchangeable, considering that, in this context, "reality" would basically mean revealing the truth. But the problem is that each person believes their version of reality is the absolute truth, so we're left with unreliable sources and an unclear outcome. This is what confuses me the most. It starts off strong and makes you realize how terrible the show's idea was from the start. But soon, it tries to change your mind through the perspectives of a producer and a coach on the show, which completely unravels.


What irritated me most about watching this documentary, however, was the number of times we had to endure the original show's sensationalizing. Personally, I found it very difficult to watch the clips from "The Biggest Loser" because it specifically highlights the most humiliating or traumatizing parts, not only for those who experienced it, but also for the viewers. Obviously, there are people you empathize with more, while others you dislike for their ego and their behavior on the show, despite knowing they were wrong.


Now, you might be asking, "What's so relevant about this show now?" Well, according to the show's own statistics, the percentage of Americans struggling with obesity has increased significantly since it aired, but more importantly, current trends have nothing to do with what people were doing back then, and the way we view the problem has completely changed. In the 2000s, a show where we saw obese people vomit while exercising was fine, but today, many would rather see them go through Ozempic and witness a dramatic transformation.

In the end, the documentary is only three episodes long and doesn't really offer much. I suppose if you looked up some of these people, you'd get all the necessary information, but the truth is, Netflix thinks we love anything sensationalized, and we watch it for no real reason. This is the perfect kind of show to put on in the background while you work (or exercise) or do something else. It's short, to the point, and has a few unexpected twists that keep you coming back for more. I suppose if I had some kind of connection to "The Biggest Loser," I might have been a little more interested in this documentary, but since I haven't followed it, I was pretty disappointed. I'd give Fit For TV 2.5 out of 5 stars, simply because despite not caring, I was somehow interested in what was going to happen next.

Watch Fit for TV: The Reality of the Biggest Loser 2025 Tv Series Trailer



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heated Rivalry 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

Letterkenny veteran Jacob Tierney wrote and directed the six-part series about two rising hockey stars who fall passionately in love. Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin entered the NHL in 2005. For more than 20 years, the Canadian star and his Russian counterpart have waged one of the greatest rivalries in the sport. They've won titles, medals, and scoring crowns, and both are still playing (with the same franchises that drafted them), having earned their place among hockey's all-time elite. Creator: Jacob Tierney Stars: Hudson Williams, Connor Storrie, Callan Potter That's the underlying premise at the heart of HBO Max and Crave's new six-part romantic drama, Heated Rivalry, based on the book by Rachel Reid and written and directed by Letterkenny veteran Jacob Tierney. Don't expect many direct similarities to Letterkenny, though. Heated Rivalry may have some comedic elements, as relationships between passionate men are often entertaining, but it's a sincere a...

Dhurandhar 2025 Movie Review Trailer Poster

Dhurandhar's story unfolds against the backdrop of significant terrorist attacks in India, focusing particularly on harrowing incidents such as the hijacking of flight IC-814 in Kandahar in 1999, the Parliament attack in 2001, and the devastating 26/11 Mumbai attacks in 2008. The film depicts a daring covert operation led by the head of India's Intelligence Bureau, Ajay Sanyal, played by R. Madhavan. The film delves into the underbelly of Karachi, particularly the dangerous Lyari region, following the journey of Hamza, played by Ranveer Singh.  Hamza is introduced as an Indian agent who infiltrates Karachi's notoriously violent gang culture to dismantle terrorist operations from within. Structured in several chapters, the film introduces the viewer to a complex narrative that explores themes of revenge, sacrifice, and national security. The first half successfully intertwines traumatic real-life events with fiction, creating a thought-provoking plot that encourages audience...

Ripple 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

When I started watching Ripple, I thought it was some kind of Hallmark series about people just living in New York, but as I got further into the series, I realized it was so much more. I think Ripple is what you could call a guilty pleasure TV series. It's neither incredibly fascinating nor so boring that you want to turn off the TV. It strikes the perfect balance, but add a dash of pain and hope, and you have an excellent series to enjoy during the holidays, when you just want to relax and be happy. The series is full of emotions, and that's what makes it so easy to watch.  The 8-episode series doesn't waste any time showing what it's trying to convey, what this "Ripple" is, and how all these characters are going to connect. I think it reminded me of when I first started watching soap operas like Grey's Anatomy. The tone of the series is very similar to those nostalgic soap operas. Plus, the presence of Ian Harding from Pretty Little Liars, with his gray...