Skip to main content

I Was a Stranger 2026 Movie Review Trailer

In my role as Jury Director for the Regina International Film Festival, I write notes on the films in competition. This expands upon my jury notes. The jury, composed of 15 established and talented filmmakers and artists, unanimously declared this an extraordinary film, with several using the word "masterpiece."

I would like to see a statue of Captain Stavros Salomon erected on the southern coast of Lesbos, facing southeast, toward Izmir and beyond, toward Syria. Although he is merely a fictional character born from the mind of Brandt Andersen, Constantine Markoulakis's interpretation transcends reality to become the raw material of mythology.

Director: Brandt Andersen
Writer: Brandt Andersen
Stars: Yasmine Al Massri, Yahya Mahayni, Omar Sy

 I have never seen a better or more moving performance, brimming with heroism and altruism. It is a benchmark performance, like Buster Keaton's in The General, Robert De Niro's in Taxi Driver, or Meryl Streep's in Sophie's Choice. And yet, it's barely noteworthy in a cast where every performance should be Oscar-worthy.


At the time of writing, the film is sweeping every award in every category at every festival it's entered. And yet, there's hardly any buzz, virtually no press coverage, and it hasn't even been mentioned on social media. 

The director, instead of going out to seek news, traveled to Jordan to coordinate the delivery of aid to Gaza. He's a true activist, a real-life one, and also the best emerging filmmaker since Spielberg. If this film disappears without being seen or distributed, it would be like the Beatles releasing "Hey Jude" and no radio station playing it.


I hope this film enters the canon and becomes one of the greatest films of all time. I hope documentaries are made about its making. I hope every actor who appears in it becomes a star. I hope it is studied in every film school, that every department, from hair and makeup to set design and sound mixing, can be compared to the best of any film ever made. 

I hope that screenwriter and director Brandt Andersen is recognized as one of the great auteurs of all time. I hope that every film or acting student watches this film repeatedly to analyze down to the smallest detail why it is so good and how it could have been so good on a budget that, although unstated, was probably equivalent to the catering budget of an average Hollywood film.


Finally, the film evokes such a powerful empathetic response that it will change people's lives, which is exactly the filmmaker's stated intention. I believe it could probably be used scientifically to accurately predict psychopathy in anyone who isn't affected by it. 

It will undoubtedly unmask those who agree that refugees are criminals, terrorists, and cowards who abandon the task of rebuilding their countries—an agreement that exposes nothing less than their "enormous inhumanity."

Watch I Was a Stranger 2026 Movie Trailer 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heated Rivalry 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

Letterkenny veteran Jacob Tierney wrote and directed the six-part series about two rising hockey stars who fall passionately in love. Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin entered the NHL in 2005. For more than 20 years, the Canadian star and his Russian counterpart have waged one of the greatest rivalries in the sport. They've won titles, medals, and scoring crowns, and both are still playing (with the same franchises that drafted them), having earned their place among hockey's all-time elite. Creator: Jacob Tierney Stars: Hudson Williams, Connor Storrie, Callan Potter That's the underlying premise at the heart of HBO Max and Crave's new six-part romantic drama, Heated Rivalry, based on the book by Rachel Reid and written and directed by Letterkenny veteran Jacob Tierney. Don't expect many direct similarities to Letterkenny, though. Heated Rivalry may have some comedic elements, as relationships between passionate men are often entertaining, but it's a sincere a...

Dhurandhar 2025 Movie Review Trailer Poster

Dhurandhar's story unfolds against the backdrop of significant terrorist attacks in India, focusing particularly on harrowing incidents such as the hijacking of flight IC-814 in Kandahar in 1999, the Parliament attack in 2001, and the devastating 26/11 Mumbai attacks in 2008. The film depicts a daring covert operation led by the head of India's Intelligence Bureau, Ajay Sanyal, played by R. Madhavan. The film delves into the underbelly of Karachi, particularly the dangerous Lyari region, following the journey of Hamza, played by Ranveer Singh.  Hamza is introduced as an Indian agent who infiltrates Karachi's notoriously violent gang culture to dismantle terrorist operations from within. Structured in several chapters, the film introduces the viewer to a complex narrative that explores themes of revenge, sacrifice, and national security. The first half successfully intertwines traumatic real-life events with fiction, creating a thought-provoking plot that encourages audience...

Ripple 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

When I started watching Ripple, I thought it was some kind of Hallmark series about people just living in New York, but as I got further into the series, I realized it was so much more. I think Ripple is what you could call a guilty pleasure TV series. It's neither incredibly fascinating nor so boring that you want to turn off the TV. It strikes the perfect balance, but add a dash of pain and hope, and you have an excellent series to enjoy during the holidays, when you just want to relax and be happy. The series is full of emotions, and that's what makes it so easy to watch.  The 8-episode series doesn't waste any time showing what it's trying to convey, what this "Ripple" is, and how all these characters are going to connect. I think it reminded me of when I first started watching soap operas like Grey's Anatomy. The tone of the series is very similar to those nostalgic soap operas. Plus, the presence of Ian Harding from Pretty Little Liars, with his gray...