Skip to main content

Fragment 2025 Movie Review Trailer Poster

The Korean film Fragment tells the shocking story of a murder. But it has an unexpected twist. The protagonists are not directly involved in the murder. They are the children of the murderer and the victim. It's truly astonishing how thrillers have unhinged us so much, to the point of always being eager to uncover the mysteries, never seeing beyond the crime. Of course, those left behind deserve our full attention. Are the children of a murderer violent enough to become criminals? What does the pain of losing loved ones turn you into? A monster or an angel? What effects does such a crime have on young minds? These are the many questions raised by the Korean drama thriller Fragment.

Fragment's premise is deeply captivating and, for me, an instant hit. However, in the process of delivering an aesthetically stunning film, much of its purpose sometimes falls away, making the usual runtime feel too long. The film has a chilling atmosphere, not only because of the plot, but also because it's filmed in the cold Seoul winter, where everything looks faded, gloomy, and very cold. 

Director: Kim Sung-yoon
Writer: Kim Sung-yoon
Stars: Oh Ja-hun, Moon Sung-hyun, Kim Gyuna

This grayish color sets the tone for a story that will undoubtedly make you think. But while this story is so desperately original, placing the lives of two very different boys, who have experienced completely different traumas, in parallel, it follows a typical Korean structure. Don't get me wrong, this is never a bad thing; however, we've seen this type of bullying countless times in Korean cinema, and I wish there were another way to portray the same situation.


While these are some disappointing aspects of the film, it more than makes up for them. I think before I say anything else, I should congratulate the three young lead actors, who truly kill it, especially in the final minutes of the film. Oh Ja-Hun is phenomenal as Jun-Gang, as is Kim Kyu-Na, who plays his younger sister. Many of their interactions seem too real to be acted; these are the best parts of the film. The bond between siblings is the essence of the film. How they want to protect each other, how the boy takes responsibility for his sister, and how that same sister can sense her brother's pain without saying a word is truly magical. Of course, Moon Sung-Hyun is also magnificent as Gi-Su, who finds himself on the opposite side of this chaos.


I don't imagine it's easy to evoke such deep and emotional performances from such young stars, but director Kim Seong-Yun pulls it off in his feature debut. This story is anything but improvised, and it focuses on the daily lives of these children and how they deal with such a troubled past. I don't want to give away any spoilers, and I personally went to see the film without any information, which, in my opinion, is the best way to go about it. But, since you're reading my review, you already have a small idea of what the film is about.


In reality, this is a melancholic love story for children who must face the consequences of their parents' mistakes. As a society, it's common to isolate those associated with any kind of crime. Does one instantly become evil if they share blood with someone who might be pure evil? Is it fair to judge children for a history in which they had no say, denying them the dignity of autonomy? Absolutely not, but this is what we've been doing for centuries. Fragment presents all these uncomfortable questions in the most cinematic way, and if you have a little patience, you'll undoubtedly enjoy it. Well, enjoy it as a film, not as a subject, of course.


There's a profound silence in this film that undoubtedly reinforces the story, presented with care and from real perspectives. I think the final act is really powerful, while the middle section dragged a bit. The film could have been a little sharper, but it's still very well done. There's an undertone of sadness throughout the film, but I'm happy to say the ending is almost refreshing in its contrast. It brought me genuine joy and also made me believe everything was going to be okay.

While Fragment isn't Anatomy of a Fall, it's easy to draw comparisons, given the premise involving a young child and moral dilemmas, and the slower pace of both films. The performances are undoubtedly equally excellent. For the past few years, the theme of "grief" has captivated us globally. I suppose it's an emotion that many are eager to explore through cinema. There are so many ways to metaphorize grief, that I completely understand why this is the sensation we're so eager to freeze in time through our screens. But while I've seen this way too much in horror, especially in recent years (Ari, I'm looking at you), I think it's one of the few times I've seen it executed so well in what we might call a thriller. 

The first half of Fragment certainly plays out like a thriller before more context is given, and things start to make more sense. Ultimately, if you're looking for something original and raw, Fragment will definitely delight you. While it's far from perfect, it's still a fantastic, engaging film, which is why I give Fragment 3 out of 5 stars. I can't wait to see what Kim Seong-Yun does next!

Watch Fragment 2025 Movie Trailer



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heated Rivalry 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

Letterkenny veteran Jacob Tierney wrote and directed the six-part series about two rising hockey stars who fall passionately in love. Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin entered the NHL in 2005. For more than 20 years, the Canadian star and his Russian counterpart have waged one of the greatest rivalries in the sport. They've won titles, medals, and scoring crowns, and both are still playing (with the same franchises that drafted them), having earned their place among hockey's all-time elite. Creator: Jacob Tierney Stars: Hudson Williams, Connor Storrie, Callan Potter That's the underlying premise at the heart of HBO Max and Crave's new six-part romantic drama, Heated Rivalry, based on the book by Rachel Reid and written and directed by Letterkenny veteran Jacob Tierney. Don't expect many direct similarities to Letterkenny, though. Heated Rivalry may have some comedic elements, as relationships between passionate men are often entertaining, but it's a sincere a...

Dhurandhar 2025 Movie Review Trailer Poster

Dhurandhar's story unfolds against the backdrop of significant terrorist attacks in India, focusing particularly on harrowing incidents such as the hijacking of flight IC-814 in Kandahar in 1999, the Parliament attack in 2001, and the devastating 26/11 Mumbai attacks in 2008. The film depicts a daring covert operation led by the head of India's Intelligence Bureau, Ajay Sanyal, played by R. Madhavan. The film delves into the underbelly of Karachi, particularly the dangerous Lyari region, following the journey of Hamza, played by Ranveer Singh.  Hamza is introduced as an Indian agent who infiltrates Karachi's notoriously violent gang culture to dismantle terrorist operations from within. Structured in several chapters, the film introduces the viewer to a complex narrative that explores themes of revenge, sacrifice, and national security. The first half successfully intertwines traumatic real-life events with fiction, creating a thought-provoking plot that encourages audience...

Ripple 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

When I started watching Ripple, I thought it was some kind of Hallmark series about people just living in New York, but as I got further into the series, I realized it was so much more. I think Ripple is what you could call a guilty pleasure TV series. It's neither incredibly fascinating nor so boring that you want to turn off the TV. It strikes the perfect balance, but add a dash of pain and hope, and you have an excellent series to enjoy during the holidays, when you just want to relax and be happy. The series is full of emotions, and that's what makes it so easy to watch.  The 8-episode series doesn't waste any time showing what it's trying to convey, what this "Ripple" is, and how all these characters are going to connect. I think it reminded me of when I first started watching soap operas like Grey's Anatomy. The tone of the series is very similar to those nostalgic soap operas. Plus, the presence of Ian Harding from Pretty Little Liars, with his gray...