Skip to main content

Tuiskoms 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

 With Women’s Day just around the corner, I’m not surprised that this South African gem has hit our screens today. If you were wondering, Tuiskoms in Afrikaans means “homecoming.” The show doesn’t necessarily give you this translation, but I guess if you pay enough attention, you might pick it up while watching the show. Tuiskoms tells the story of a widow named Fleur, who has taken over her late husband’s restaurant after his death two years ago. 


Still grieving, Fleur doesn’t want to give up the failing restaurant, but things take a drastic turn when a man finds pubic hair on her dessert plate (oops!). Videos are recorded of Fleur defending the restaurant and even licking some off the plate, but Fleur believes she can still pull through. Sadly, this isn’t the case and she loses everything, leading her to move back to her parents’ home in the town of Wilderness. Will she be able to find a new purpose for herself there? That's what you'll discover in Tuiskoms.

Stars: Armand Aucamp, Amalia Uys, Edwin van der Walt

But that's not all the show is. The South African series looks, from the outside, like a simple slice-of-life show that you might want to gloss over, but it's actually a very deep show about grief and femininity across generations. I must admit that hearing Afrikaans for the first time already caught my attention, but the show has a very subtle approach to storytelling, hidden in the show's visual style, which gives off typical rom-com vibes. Also, are flower arrangements the new global trend? Because why am I watching two Netflix shows from completely different genres and from different continents centered around flower arrangements? As someone who's never really liked flowers, I'm suddenly very intrigued by the art form, but I digress.


You know, if I had to call a series feminist, this is what it would look like. No, there's no message of equality beneath the funny premise; It’s simply a show about women, showing us their many struggles and how they are able to solve their own problems on their own. And it definitely feels like it’s made by women for women, which is why I think it fits perfectly. In Tuiskoms, Fleur struggles with the grief of losing her husband, the love of her life, and doesn’t know how to get over it. Her mother, Abigail, struggles to deal with a broken marriage, and Fleur’s teenage daughter, Kelly, has to deal with trying to start a new life in a remote village with a broke mother. These women are definitely not defined by their struggles – in fact, what connects the three generations is their talent for art, all in their own right. This might have been my favourite part of the show.


It’s hard to capture grief on screen, and many creators, big and small, struggle to do so. But Tuiskoms throws it at you in an unexpected and sudden way, so you don’t really have time to prepare. A bit like real life. No, I didn’t actually cry, but I definitely choked up, which I think is still fantastic for a show I’m watching on my laptop screen in a language I’m hearing for the first time. Tuiskoms seamlessly weaves her comedy-of-errors style with her handling of grief. It’s not overwhelmingly sad – in fact, it’s hopeful and charming – but it does occasionally remind you of the reality of life and how its cyclical nature will eventually catch up with you.


I love how the show moves from the usual trope of a great father-daughter relationship, where the mother becomes almost a semi-villain, to these women forging their own bond amidst the chaos. It feels raw and realistic – not just the teenage angst we see from Kelly, who occasionally scorns her mother, but also from Fleur. Despite being flawed women, all three are engaging, charming and wonderfully relatable in their own ways. Last year, I watched a series called Envious, which also tried to show us a character with flaws, but basically makes her flaws her personality, which I didn't like very much. That's why I think Tuiskoms is worth watching if you're a woman who can feel lonely.


The 7-part series is easy to watch, with each episode lasting about 45 minutes. Although there are some dramatic moments and sometimes, very oddly, Fleur can get on your nerves, you can't help but like her and her wonderful family. But of course, it's not just the writing and directing that makes a series a success, but also the acting. Amilia Uys carries the series with ease and you really identify with her as the series progresses, rooting for her to be happy in the end. Michelle Botes (RIP) plays Abigail in her last on-screen role and is a wonderful character.

Watch Tuiskoms 2025 Tv Series Trailer



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heated Rivalry 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

Letterkenny veteran Jacob Tierney wrote and directed the six-part series about two rising hockey stars who fall passionately in love. Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin entered the NHL in 2005. For more than 20 years, the Canadian star and his Russian counterpart have waged one of the greatest rivalries in the sport. They've won titles, medals, and scoring crowns, and both are still playing (with the same franchises that drafted them), having earned their place among hockey's all-time elite. Creator: Jacob Tierney Stars: Hudson Williams, Connor Storrie, Callan Potter That's the underlying premise at the heart of HBO Max and Crave's new six-part romantic drama, Heated Rivalry, based on the book by Rachel Reid and written and directed by Letterkenny veteran Jacob Tierney. Don't expect many direct similarities to Letterkenny, though. Heated Rivalry may have some comedic elements, as relationships between passionate men are often entertaining, but it's a sincere a...

Dhurandhar 2025 Movie Review Trailer Poster

Dhurandhar's story unfolds against the backdrop of significant terrorist attacks in India, focusing particularly on harrowing incidents such as the hijacking of flight IC-814 in Kandahar in 1999, the Parliament attack in 2001, and the devastating 26/11 Mumbai attacks in 2008. The film depicts a daring covert operation led by the head of India's Intelligence Bureau, Ajay Sanyal, played by R. Madhavan. The film delves into the underbelly of Karachi, particularly the dangerous Lyari region, following the journey of Hamza, played by Ranveer Singh.  Hamza is introduced as an Indian agent who infiltrates Karachi's notoriously violent gang culture to dismantle terrorist operations from within. Structured in several chapters, the film introduces the viewer to a complex narrative that explores themes of revenge, sacrifice, and national security. The first half successfully intertwines traumatic real-life events with fiction, creating a thought-provoking plot that encourages audience...

Ripple 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

When I started watching Ripple, I thought it was some kind of Hallmark series about people just living in New York, but as I got further into the series, I realized it was so much more. I think Ripple is what you could call a guilty pleasure TV series. It's neither incredibly fascinating nor so boring that you want to turn off the TV. It strikes the perfect balance, but add a dash of pain and hope, and you have an excellent series to enjoy during the holidays, when you just want to relax and be happy. The series is full of emotions, and that's what makes it so easy to watch.  The 8-episode series doesn't waste any time showing what it's trying to convey, what this "Ripple" is, and how all these characters are going to connect. I think it reminded me of when I first started watching soap operas like Grey's Anatomy. The tone of the series is very similar to those nostalgic soap operas. Plus, the presence of Ian Harding from Pretty Little Liars, with his gray...