Skip to main content

Devil May Cry 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

 A few weeks ago, I was watching a video essay from a YouTube channel called DanBoyWonder titled "The Lost Art of Action Cartoons!" which basically said that we don't have action-oriented shows like Batman: The Animated Series, Ben 10, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Teen Titans, Swat Kats, Gargoyles, Samurai Jack, Justice League, etc. anymore. He was arguing that recent reboots of older animated shows or the general landscape of American-made animated shows is really bland. 

He said that things like Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man and Invincible are decent, but not as amazing as the stuff from the good old days. And you know what? I almost agreed with him. But then I realized that any discussion of the current state of American animation is incomplete without mentioning the work that Adi Shankar and his collaborators have done in this space. Castlevania's four-season run is spectacular. In a year filled with disastrous second adventures, Castlevania: Nocturne blew it away. Captain Laserhawk is an underappreciated gem. And Shankar has continued this unprecedented streak of brilliant animated action series with Devil May Cry.

Creators: Alex Larsen, Adi Shankar
Stars: Johnny Yong Bosch, Scout Taylor-Compton, Hoon Lee

Adi Shankar's Devil May Cry, adapted by Alex Larsen and Shankar from the Japanese video game franchise of the same name, is set in a universe where Earth and Hell are separated by a kind of quantum barrier. But the main antagonist, White Rabbit, wants to break this wall separating the two realms, thus allowing the demons of the underworld to extend their dominion by taking over the land inhabited mostly by mortals. Normally, cracks in this interdimensional barrier allow demons to pass through, but only those small enough to make the journey; larger ones are unfit to travel. So, to create a stable portal between Earth and Hell, White Rabbit needs the Sword of Sparda, two halves of an ancient amulet, and a third secret object. He has the sword, one half of the amulet, and the key to the rest is the famous demon hunter, Dante. Of course, all of this is only happening in the United States. So the American government hires a private demon-hunting company, Darkcom, and employs Mary and her team of elite soldiers to capture Dante before White Rabbit does. Who will succeed? Who will fail? Well, that's what the series is about.


If you're familiar with the sci-fi clichés popular today, or if you've seen any of Adi Shankar's previous works, I don't think Devil May Cry will surprise you at all. For starters, you have demons from Hell judging the wickedness of humans on Earth. There are long-lost relatives presumed dead, but in reality, they're alive. Regardless of one's ability to physically change their appearance, there are hypocrites on both sides. There's a McGuffin that can only be unlocked in a specific and complex way to make the search for the key elements as long as possible. You get the idea? It's more of the same, but it's presented well enough to not be entirely boring. However, what is refreshing and frighteningly relevant are the series' commentaries on environmentalism and America's strange mix of violence, nationalism, and religion. Shankar and Larsen hold nothing back in telling the audience how we've already destroyed the planet by wasting its resources, and how we (especially the United States) are now making things worse by being unwilling to unite as a species.


I have vague memories of playing one of the installments in the video game series, and while I could be wrong, I think Dante is the franchise's main draw. But in Netflix's Devil May Cry, Dante is the McGuffin, while the bulk of the character arc is reserved for White Rabbit and Mary. Now, maybe because I haven't played the games, I didn't mind; but I don't know how others will react. Aside from my lack of nostalgia, the reason I'm okay with the character at the center of all the show's promotional material getting less of a spotlight than White Rabbit and Mary is because of the sixth episode. Without giving anything away, that episode is truly masterful. Its art style is a departure from the rest of the show. The revelations that emerge through White Rabbit and Mary's stories make you wonder who you should be rooting for. And it has a reference to Nosferatu: A Symphony of Terror. I think the show also pays homage to the highway chase in The Matrix Reloaded, the aerial stunt in Iron Man 3, the cafe attack in Spider-Man 2, and the entire Dredd movie (which Adi executive produced). And because I love all of these movies, these moments.

Beyond all the Easter eggs (the Resident Evil one is particularly interesting) and the heart-stopping drama, Devil May Cry is a solid, fun series. It's beautifully gory, and nearly every episode is packed with the most explosive action sequences ever seen. Whether it's hand-to-hand combat, vehicle chases, or gunfights, the directors, animators, sound designers, music composers, and editors hold nothing back and ensure you enjoy the highest level of immersion. If I have to nitpick, I will say that the difference between the 2D and 3D models is vast; therefore, there are some scenes that can be a bit too flashy. But, like I said, that's a minor issue in a series packed with breathtaking scenes. However, the voice acting is what really brings it all together. The late Kevin Conroy is brilliant and surprisingly menacing; a true legend! Johnny Yong Bosch is charismatic as hell. Chris Coppola is hilarious. Scout Taylor-Compton captures her character's spark perfectly. However, Hoon Lee undoubtedly steals the show. Zeke Alton, Benjamin Abiola, Sunkrish Bala, Fryda Wolff, Leilani Barrett, Tina Majorino, Roger Jackson, and the rest of the supporting cast are excellent. I learned that the late Tony Todd also appears in the series; though I didn't quite catch it.


As mentioned, Devil May Cry is a great addition to Adi Shankar's already splendid list of amazing animated series. Also, while we're seeing some great live-action TV series based on video games, like Gangs of London and Fallout, this project proves that animation is a much better medium. I mean, video games are getting more realistic every year. So what's the point of taking an even more realistic route? In addition to Adi Shankar's animated video game adaptations, Netflix has also released Tomb Raider: The Legend of Lara Croft, Dragon's Dogma, Dragon Age: Absolution, DOTA: The Dragon's Blood, Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, The Cuphead Show, and, of course, Arcane. Therefore, I believe that production companies should pay their animators accordingly and, instead of greenlighting yet another uninspired live-action adaptation, they should allow the vastness of the animated medium to drive the popularity of video games. And, if you're concerned about the state of American action animated series, be sure to dive into the works of Adi Shankar, starting with Devil May Cry.

Watch Devil May Cry 2025 Tv Series Trailer



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heated Rivalry 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

Letterkenny veteran Jacob Tierney wrote and directed the six-part series about two rising hockey stars who fall passionately in love. Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin entered the NHL in 2005. For more than 20 years, the Canadian star and his Russian counterpart have waged one of the greatest rivalries in the sport. They've won titles, medals, and scoring crowns, and both are still playing (with the same franchises that drafted them), having earned their place among hockey's all-time elite. Creator: Jacob Tierney Stars: Hudson Williams, Connor Storrie, Callan Potter That's the underlying premise at the heart of HBO Max and Crave's new six-part romantic drama, Heated Rivalry, based on the book by Rachel Reid and written and directed by Letterkenny veteran Jacob Tierney. Don't expect many direct similarities to Letterkenny, though. Heated Rivalry may have some comedic elements, as relationships between passionate men are often entertaining, but it's a sincere a...

Dhurandhar 2025 Movie Review Trailer Poster

Dhurandhar's story unfolds against the backdrop of significant terrorist attacks in India, focusing particularly on harrowing incidents such as the hijacking of flight IC-814 in Kandahar in 1999, the Parliament attack in 2001, and the devastating 26/11 Mumbai attacks in 2008. The film depicts a daring covert operation led by the head of India's Intelligence Bureau, Ajay Sanyal, played by R. Madhavan. The film delves into the underbelly of Karachi, particularly the dangerous Lyari region, following the journey of Hamza, played by Ranveer Singh.  Hamza is introduced as an Indian agent who infiltrates Karachi's notoriously violent gang culture to dismantle terrorist operations from within. Structured in several chapters, the film introduces the viewer to a complex narrative that explores themes of revenge, sacrifice, and national security. The first half successfully intertwines traumatic real-life events with fiction, creating a thought-provoking plot that encourages audience...

Ripple 2025 Tv Series Review Trailer Poster

When I started watching Ripple, I thought it was some kind of Hallmark series about people just living in New York, but as I got further into the series, I realized it was so much more. I think Ripple is what you could call a guilty pleasure TV series. It's neither incredibly fascinating nor so boring that you want to turn off the TV. It strikes the perfect balance, but add a dash of pain and hope, and you have an excellent series to enjoy during the holidays, when you just want to relax and be happy. The series is full of emotions, and that's what makes it so easy to watch.  The 8-episode series doesn't waste any time showing what it's trying to convey, what this "Ripple" is, and how all these characters are going to connect. I think it reminded me of when I first started watching soap operas like Grey's Anatomy. The tone of the series is very similar to those nostalgic soap operas. Plus, the presence of Ian Harding from Pretty Little Liars, with his gray...